Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Captain

Sometime this last year, there was an article in the Ensign. It was about raising young kids in the gospel and what tools you can have in your home that can help them learn more about it. At the time, I definitely was feeling like I was lost on how to bring it down to the boys' level. And to help them be a little more reverant during sacrament meeting. They recommended purchasing the church's picture book, the nursery manual, and the simplified scripture stories. I didn't even realize I could have these! I bought the picture book, the nursery manual to help with FHE lessons, and The Book of Mormon simple stories. I was happy to see how much they loved the picture book. 

When my parents visited in August, they brought some Book of Mormon heroes figures. The boys were SO excited to have them! They got Nephi, Captain Moroni, Helaman, and Ammon. The figures are modeled after the heroes pictures in the picture book. James was so excited to put his heroes on top of their pictures and match them up. It's been great having them more interested in the stories and learning about these great men. 

That being said, no pole is safe now when we are shopping. I'm not sure when this started happening, but it is happening more frequently. James started it, for sure. He walks up to any pole, holds it with his right hand, holds up his left foot, and declares, "I'm Captain Moroni!!". Gah- too cute. Now Gavin gets in on it and shuffles his way in to have a turn being "Captn Noni!". We even sometimes discuss how he is going to fight the bad men and how he's "gooood". 

We may not think little ones are learning, but they certainly are.

1 comment: