Sunday, December 9, 2012

How Many Times in the Day

I'm not sure why (and I sure am loving it), but James has decided this last week to say, "I love you, Mommy!" countless times every single day. It's cute. It's funny. Sometimes it's a bit much, but that is usually when I'm super busy and I know exactly what he has to say. He's always been a huge love. 

It is definitely humbling at times, because he has started choosing to say it also when I'm sounding exasperated. He'll go, "Mommy! Mommy! Mom!" and I unfortunately do not always have the most patience with three kids, reply curtly at times, "What?!". "I love you, Mommy!" I'm pretty sure that isn't what he was going to say, but he realizes that is what I need to hear. Kids... such great teachers.

This past week at Target (this may be the same trip as runaway gav), we were in the dollar section (yay for dollar sections!), and James turns to me while he is perusing the merchandise, "I love you, Mommy!". That's how random it is. Literally out of no where! There was a lady a few feet away from him, and when she heard it, turned to him, a bit surprised, and just said, "Aawww, that is so sweet!". I told her thank you, he's such a love. Got me thinking, though- I wonder how common it is now to have children (or more importantly, parents) express their love so openly. We've always said it to our kids, as much as we can. I never want them to question if we love them or not. 

Thinking about his expression of love this week, if I remember correctly (I might have to go check before I go to bed) that it was around this time last year that he said "I love you" to me, with no asking/prodding/whatever, for the first time. I remember feeling so happy that he LOVED me! On his own! Now there is no question of it, for sure! I don't know what I've done to deserve him and his love like this, but I sure am grateful for it. Update: November 13, 2011. Said "I love you" to me for the first time, no prompting. What a year can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment