Monday, November 11, 2013

First Sickness

I love fall. I don't mind winter (here- Idaho and sometimes Utah are a different story). What I don't mind and quite actually dread and despise is the sick season that accompanies this time of year. Ick. Ew. Gross. Stay away. So, of course, we have truly started the season and got our first illness this past week (or more).

Jack got sick last week. Nothing too serious, just a minor cold. But come Friday it was nasty and by Friday night, he had croup. My poor baby. We were close to going to Urgent Care but after a phone call to the nurse's hotline (love that thing!!), we felt reassured that he wasn't in need of immediate attention. After the phone call, Brad gave Jack a blessing. So grateful for that. Since he was already partially awake, I got our shower going hot and we sat in the bathroom with the steam for 10 minutes. Then I wrapped us up in a blanket and we sat in our backyard for another 10-20 minutes. He had no trouble going to bed and I slept in the room with him. In the morning, he was much better and we were both so grateful.

But by Saturday night, it was James' turn to be sick. Fever hit him out of nowhere. Sunday he could hardly drink or eat anything. Gavin seemed to be skating by, but Monday morning found him ultra sniffly and cough-y. Poor baby. When I got up with Gavin, James was already on the couch in the family room... and wearing different jammies. I asked him why and he told me that he had had a yucky cough. I couldn't get more out of him so I went to investigate- did he just cough up some phlegm and got grossed out? On his bed, there was a bunch of coughed up mucus with tinges of orange juice from the night before. Then I discovered he had coughed a bit more onto Gavin's bed. Going into the bathroom, I found even more coughed up mucus in the sink. Poor kid! I don't think he would have told me if I hadn't asked about his jammies. Though sad, I'm rather impressed that he basically took care of himself after going through something like that.

Since both beds needed to be changed and Jack was still resting in his room, I set to change both beds. Then I got my contacts in and washed my face. By that time, Jack was ready to get out. As I walked into the family room, I just see James laying oh so tiredly on the couch, his face in another coughed up mucus episode. Poor kid couldn't even move out of it! I got him up and into the bathroom to clean up his face then headed back out to take the messy couch cushion cover off (thank heavens it's removable!). I asked James if he wanted a bath and he said yes, but since he hates running water, I had him go lay down on the twin in Jack's bedroom. Once the bath was ready, I went in to get him. I asked him if he still wanted a bath and I just got the slightest shake of the head for no. He could hardly move and was ready to just pass out. I covered him up, got a blanket for a pillow, and let him fall asleep.

Three hours later he finally woke up. That kid was wiped out from this illness! Since waking up, he has finally drank A LOT, had a bit of pasta for lunch, and lots of Hawaiian haystacks for dinner. Gavin and him are very much enjoying playing together and we are enjoying hearing them being back to themselves. Jack is still struggling, but hopefully will be better tomorrow.

I'm really not looking forward to this sick season. I am praying and hoping we get a break and we won't have a year like last year. I felt like we got everything last year, it was ridiculous. I'm definitely going to try to limit our excursions out, not just for germs sake but just the holiday season in general. I don't need to be out in that and neither do they. Here's to getting better and STAYING better!

1 comment:

  1. I am grateful they are improving. It's so sad when they are sick. And how sweet is James taking care of himself? I can't believe he is growing up that much.

    ReplyDelete