Thursday, July 25, 2013

"Monster" Unleashed

Today will mark the day that Jack graduated into the full-fledged stage of terrible twos. Oh. Boy. He doesn't turn two until October, but who wants to wait that long???

It happened around the same time for James, a few months before turning two. It was hard. Gavin's literally happened on his birthday. That was harder. Gavin is at least pulling out of his two-ness, but it is still over-lapping! Ooooh... *deeeeeep breaths*

What marks today the special day? Two instances:

The boys were upstairs while I was downstairs and I decided I might as well join them and finish getting ready. I found them all on our bed and Jack holding the kids toothpaste and our toothpaste. Not something I really want all over my bed. Or anywhere. I went to take them from him- I had to wrestle it out of his hands. Talk about death grip! This then triggered a SCREAM fest, where he followed me, screaming, "MINE! MINE! MIIIIIIIINE!!!!". I put it back in the drawer, he opened it, got them both out, happiness ensued. Fine, if he was going to stay in the bathroom with me, fine. Nope. He had to wander back out. Maybe I should be more relaxed but this kid has a knack for trouble, so I wrestled it away from him and put them on the counter, far out of reach. I really got him screaming at me this time- like five minutes! I literally had to put him in his crib to cool off. Sure enough, about two minutes later, the screaming stopped. Then about a minute later I hear, "Mama?... Dada?... Nana?....... Mama!" Ok, dude, you are permitted to join us! Holy cow, so not like him. Thank you, twos.

Later on in the day, James asked if they could watch me play Star Wars on the Wii. I said sure, they were being good and it was hot out so why not kill some time that way. At one point, I had to fly across something so I showed them how R2D2 can fly in the game. They thought this was so cool! Jack was sooo happy to see R2D2 on the TV, he kept saying his name over and over. Once I was done, I went back to whatever character I had before. Jack started screaming and hitting the TV/dresser TV stand, coming up to me and hitting the pillow on my lap, screaming, "D2! D2! D2!" Then Gavin got the mini toy out of R2D2 and Jack chased him all over the house, screaming at him to give him that toy (notice how much I'm using the word "screaming"...). He got it, was happy, then needed the big version of R2D2 as well. More screaming. I got him C3PO and that made him much happier. Freak. Outs. Galore. 

Realizing this makes it a tad easier. Sure easier to laugh and deal with when you realize it's just him being almost two. I can do this, I can do this...

1 comment:

  1. You can! You can! Isn't it smart/great/wonderful that Heavenly Father is so wise that they are terrible twos instead of newborn? That way we love them (our children; and yes, that includes you!) so much by that time that we know who they really are and can handle those moments! Such a blessing. :)

    ReplyDelete